Re: Emacs compilation problem

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs compilation problem
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:59:24 GMT

> I installed a down-sized fedora core 1. (With everything related to X
> removed) I want to compile emacs from source but didn't get any good news.

The problem has nothing to do with X but with Fedora's security thingy:

        Stefan

* Segfault on GNU/Linux using certain recent versions of the Linux kernel.

With certain recent Linux kernels (like the one of Redhat Fedora Core
1), the new "Exec-shield" functionality is enabled by default, which
creates a different memory layout that breaks the emacs dumper.

You can check the Exec-shield state like this:

    cat /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield

It returns 1 or 2 when Exec-shield is enabled, 0 otherwise.  Please
read your system documentation for more details on Exec-shield and
associated commands.

When Exec-shield is enabled, building Emacs will segfault during the
execution of this command:

temacs --batch --load loadup [dump|bootstrap]

To work around this problem, it is necessary to temporarily disable
Exec-shield while building Emacs, using the `setarch' command like
this:

    setarch i386 ./configure <configure parameters>
    setarch i386 make <make parameters>