Re: indentation in jde/java mode

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: indentation in jde/java mode
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 06:50:09 +0000

ad <as@no-span.org> wrote on Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:15:51 -0400:
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:30:36 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

>> ad <as@no-span.org> wrote on Sun, 25 Apr 2004 23:07:01 -0400:
>>> Hi,

>>> I am running "GNU Emacs 21.3.1" in my debian box. I have the
>>> following in my ".emacs" file to use 2 char indentation for my java
>>> files:

>>> (defun my-jde-mode-hook ()
>>>     (setq c-basic-offset 2))

>>> (add-hook 'jde-mode-hook 'my-jde-mode-hook)
>>> (add-hook 'java-mode-hook 'my-jde-mode-hook)

>>> This seems to be working fine when I edit/view files with emacs, but
>>> when I look at the files with other editors or viewers, like "less",
>>> I see the indentation is actually 8.

>>> It seems like when the file is saved, the indentation is changing to
>>> 8.

>>> Am I doing something wrong within my ".emacs"?

>> Quick question: are you sure that your indentation is done with two
>> spaces, and not with a TAB, tab-width having somehow been set to 2?

>>> Thank you.

> While I am writing the code and get to the new-line and hit TAB, the
> cursor does not move, but when I finished the line with ";" or having a
> "." (dot) in the line (example (aClass.method), does the indentation
> automatically, and it looks by 2 chars. I also tend to use "Java ->
> Indent Expression" menu selection quite often which also looks like
> indenting by 2 chars. All the indentation looks just fine (2-chars)
> within the emacs, but opening with other editors (even "less") is
> making it look like it was indented by 8 chars. Because of this, I get
> some complaints from my colleagues that are using xemacs.

Sorry, I should have been more explicit.  I was thinking that those 2
spaces you're seeing might really be a TAB character.  If so, it would
look like 8 spaces in less or other editors.

If you put the cursor in those 2 spaces, then do "C-x =", it will tell
you what's there.  If it is indeed a TAB character, check the value of
the Emacs variables `tab-width' and `indent-tabs-mode' (using "C-h v").

If this isn't the problem, then could you do "C-c C-b" from the java
buffer, to dump the internal state of java-mode.  Post that dump here,
and we'll probably be able to see what's going wrong.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter