turning a list (variable) into process &rest ARGS ...

From: Florian von Savigny
Subject: turning a list (variable) into process &rest ARGS ...
Date: 26 May 2004 23:46:53 +0200

Hi there,

I have just hit upon a problem you never expect when you once started
off using Perl ...

I am writing a function that is to invoke (call-process ...) and take
the program name and the &rest ARGS from a list variable of unknown
length. While this is of course straightforward for the command name,
I have no idea of how to do the rest, since, as all old lispers here
will know, I cannot simply supply the relevant portion of the
list. call-process wants strings, not lists.

Is there ANY workaround (I wouldn't like to have the function take the
whole command from a variable, which would be possible by setting the
latter to '(progn (call-process ... etc., because I want the function
to control the other arguments of call-process) for this
list-to-elements problem?

Thanks for any help,

--

Florian v. Savigny

If you are going to reply in private, please be patient, as I only
check for mail something like once a week. - Si vous allez répondre
personellement, patientez s.v.p., car je ne lis les courriels
qu'environ une fois par semaine.