Re: w32 mule status

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: w32 mule status
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 08:49:58 +0100

"Edward Casey" <ejmn@cpinternet.com> writes:

> The differences are just in the lines beginning with TAB [. These lines
> are missing from the fontset on the machine that won't display Latin-4
> characters.

So that machine does not have those fonts. Since this is Windows 98,
the default fonts for the US version are Latin-1 only. There is
another set of default fonts, which used to be available from the MS
website, and is also installed by various MS software packages. This
set supports many more encodings. If you do not look closely, it may
appear that the fonts are the same on both machines, but in the font
selection dialog, you have a "Script" dropdown selection, which will
be different on the machines that work compared to the one that
doesn't.

> I still think that the parameters for the fontsets have to be stored
> somewhere.

Only if you set them.

> What does M-x describe-fontset read?

It describes the fontset you specify. But this is a red herring. Emacs
21 displays all characters regardless of whether you use a font or a
fontset. The fontset gives you finer control over which fonts are used
to display which characters.

> Since I messed up one of the machines I have 2 fontsets called
> fonset-default with different settings. This leads me to believe that the
> (create-fontset-from-fontset-spec) function adds the definitions to a list
> somewhere.

If you put that in .emacs, it is saved in .emacs. There is nothing
magic going on behind the scenes.