Re: imenu / speedbar and C++

From: Jay Cotton
Subject: Re: imenu / speedbar and C++
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 15:02:26 -0400

On Oct 1, 2004, at 12:05 PM, Eric Ludlam wrote:

Jay Cotton <jay@fleeingrabbit.com> seems to think that:
I've been enjoying the emacs imenu / speedbar features for coding Java
and Ruby, but at the moment I'm working on a C++ project and now I'm
having trouble getting imenu to recognize all the functions in the
file. It seems to only recognize the class definition and the "main"
function - which I guess makes sense if it follows a convention of
only noticing functions that are delimited at the left margin.

However, in my C++ file, all the interesting stuff happens within the
class, and the functions therein are all indented a few spaces. Is
there a way to broaden imenu's tag filter to allow for these functions
to be captured?

Hi,

  The CEDET project has goodies to improve this situation.  See
http://cedet.sf.net

  I think ebrowse (which is part of Emacs 21) does something similar.

Wow, thanks - a lot going on at CEDET. From what I can tell, speedbar was originally developed by CEDET, but the problem is that Emacs 21.3 doesn't ship with the latest speedbar (actually, I gather it's more complicated than that, with lots of dependencies such as the 'semantic' project, also part of CEDEC).

Anyway, I grabbed the latest beta version (cedet-1.0beta3b) and installed it and now I'm getting a much better speedbar experience (in C++ at least).

Lots to learn.