Re: Help: How to install auctex on winxp

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Help: How to install auctex on winxp
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 11:54:33 +0200

Dachao Li <dachao_sandy@sohu.com> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Dachao Li <dachao_sandy@sohu.com> writes:
>>
>> > Could anybody supply an auctex 11.5x which is installed without the
>> > need of compile? (ntemacs)
>>
>> Have you tried following the installation instructions in
>> INSTALL.windows?  What problems did you encounter?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> I cann't access www.mingw.org,

I have no problem whatsoever.  Going through the page, the download
location appears to be
<URL:http://prdownloads.sf.net/mingw/MSYS-1.0.10.exe?download>
at the moment.

> and cygwin is too big and difficult to me, so I cannot get MSYS tool
> set, and I have no any experience of using msys.

Just follow instructions.

> I remember that installing auctex 11.1x only need copying it and
> changing .emacs,

No.  It required editing several files, copying stuff around, changing
it and so on.

> why installing auctex 11.5x is more difficult?

It is simpler.  And we don't have to maintain basically different
installation methods for Unix and Windows, to boot.

> Is there a installing method that is like installing auctex 11.1x?

Apart from doing everything manually that the scripts for installation
do, no.  And it would be pretty beside the point, anyway.

Apart from that, having MSYS in your path will greatly increase the
usability of Emacs since commands like `grep', `grep-find', `dired'
and a lot of similar stuff require the availability of Unix-like
commands.