Re: Help: How to install auctex on winxp

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Help: How to install auctex on winxp
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 10:57:34 +0200

Christian Schlauer <cs-muelleimer-rubbish.bin@arcor.de> writes:

> Dachao Li <dachao_sandy@sohu.com> writes:
>
>> configure: error: Unable to run /c/Program Files/emacs/bin/emacs!
>> Aborting!
>
> There can be two reasons, I think:
>
> a) you are using the wrong syntax -- you write /c/Program Files/, try
>    c:/Program Files/, that is:
>
>    ./configure --prefix=c:/Program Files/emacs
>
> b) if it still doesn't work, it is due to the space in the directory
>    name `Program Files'. Either install Emacs into something like
>    c:/emacs, or get a developer version of AUCTeX, it should be fixed
>    there

You could also try using the spaceless equivalent, probably something
like
c:/PROGRA~1/emacs

Yes, it will likely be fixed in the next release, but AUCTeX is pretty
much alone in trying to deal with this sort of stuff.  Avoiding spaces
in file names will tend to save you headaches also with other programs
and installation procedures.

We _aim_ for getting even this sort of junk right, but there might be
times when we don't reach home plate, and other package authors might
not even bother at all.