Keyboard annoyances on Cygwin+Emacs

From: KKramsch
Subject: Keyboard annoyances on Cygwin+Emacs
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:07:27 +0000 (UTC)

I just installed Cygwin on my desktop.  Everything works OK, except
Emacs.

If I invoke Emacs in a Cygwin terminal as 'emacs -nw', the backspace
key behaves as C-h (C-h still behaves as C-h).  More bizarrely,
when I hit the combination C-x C-c, Emacs sees C-x C-g.

If I ssh into a Linux host, and run 'emacs -nw', the situation is
more bizarre.  In *some* cases Emacs sees both backspace and C-h
as C-h.  In other cases, it sees both backspace and C-h as "delete
to the left of the cursor".  I haven't been able to figure out what
determines which of the two (mis)behaviors Emacs will exhibit,
although I think it has to do with the details of how the remote
shell is started.  (It definitely does not depend on the remote
host.)  In these remote-host operations, C-x C-c quits Emacs as
usual.

If I start Emacs as an X application, whether on the local workstation
or on a remote host, backspace, C-h, and C-x C-c work perfectly.

Backspace works fine in every other situation and application (e.g.
interactive bash, vi, etc.).

How can I fix this mess?

I should point out that I log into remote hosts from many other
systems other than the Cygwin system described here, so I need a
solution that will not screw up the behavior of Emacs on remote
hosts when I access them from local hosts other than Cygwin.

Thanks!

        Karl

--
Sent from a spam-bucket account; I check it once in a blue moon.  If
you still want to e-mail me, cut out the extension from my address,