Re: How to convert a .doc link to plain ASCII text

From: Micha Feigin
Subject: Re: How to convert a .doc link to plain ASCII text
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:11:53 +0200

At 11 Nov 2004 23:32:32 -0500,
Don Saklad wrote:

> Would any of you nice folks out there convert the content
> on this link to plain ASCII text and send it along?...
>
> http://www.sec.state.ma.us/arc/arcrmu/rmurds/publiclibrary28-96.doc

Attached. BTW check out the wv package, its your friend for such work.

> Cheers!
> dsaklad@zurich.csail.mit.edu

>  at the Tel-Aviv University CC.

                                 PUBLIC LIBRARY

                           RECORDS DISPOSAL SCHEDULE

                                     28-96

                              Municipal Government

                       The Commonwealth of Massachusetts

                         Secretary of the Commonwealth

                             William Francis Galvin

   DS-28-96

             PUBLIC LIBRARY DEPARTMENTS RECORDS RETENTION SCHEDULE

                           Information and Procedures

   1. The following is a list of standard records that can be found in the
   custody of municipal public library departments. This list includes
   records and forms currently mandated for their use in carrying out
   specific statutory responsibilities.

   2. This schedule is arranged alphabetically by the title of the record
   series.

   3. Each disposal schedule has a schedule number and revision date in the
   upper right-hand corner. The schedule number has two parts, the department
   number and the schedule's year of origin.

   4. Any records series title with an asterisk (*) may be destroyed without
   the permission of the Supervisor of Public Records, following the
   expiration of the specified retention period.

   5. Each entry on the schedule includes: record series title; form
   identification, if applicable; legal citation (including statutory
   references to the Massachusetts General Laws); minimum period for which
   the record must be maintained; whether or not the record must be retained
   in hard copy format e.g., if the record cannot be microfilmed and
   destroyed; and the series number.

   6. If the phrase "settlement of levy" is used in the disposition section
   of the disposal schedule, it designates the closure of all accounts for a
   particular levy though payment, abatement, or taking of property for
   taxes.

   7. Before submitting disposal requests to the Supervisor, be sure that the
   records are not subject to any current or pending litigation or public
   records request, and that the prescribed retention period has fully
   expired for each record to be destroyed.

   8. Records created prior to 1870 cannot be destroyed.

   9. To destroy records included on this disposal schedule, the public
   library director should submit to the Supervisor of Public Records two
   copies of a letter substantially in the form suggested here, indicating:
   schedule number; date of last schedule revision; series number; estimated
   volume; inclusive dates for each series to be destroyed; and the date of
   the last audit or settlement of levy, if applicable. Where the disposal
   period refers "Completion of satisfactory audit or final settlement of
   levy" After termination," include these or other variable dates so that
   the eligibility for destruction of the records in question may be checked.

   The public library director should sign both copies of the letter. One
   copy of this will be returned to the public library director with the
   Supervisor's approval. Following receipt of this approval, all records
   included in the written request may be legally destroyed, subject to any
   conditions specified thereon. Any record may be retained beyond this time
   at the discretion of the public library director.

   Original records cannot be destroyed without the written permission of the
   Supervisor of Public Records.

   10. To destroy records that have been microfilmed and that are on the
   disposal schedule, the public library director should submit to the
   Supervisor of Public Records two copies of a letter substantially in the
   form suggested here, indicating: schedule number; date of last schedule
   revision; series number; estimated volume; inclusive dates for each series
   to be destroyed; and the date of the last audit or settlement of levy, if
   applicable. Where the disposal period refers to "Completion of levy, if
   applicable. Where the disposal period refers to "Completion of
   satisfactory audit or final settlement of levy" or "After termination,"
   include these or other variable dates so that the eligibility for
   destruction of the records in question may be checked.

   The public library director should sign both copies of the letter. One
   copy of this letter will be returned to the public library director with
   the Supervisor's approval. Following receipt of this approval, all records
   included in the written request may be legally destroyed, subject to any
   conditions specified thereon. Any record may be retained beyond this time
   at the discretion of the public library director.

   11. To destroy records that are not included on this disposal schedule,
   refer to the Administration/Personnel (23/89) records disposal schedules.
   This schedule includes records held in common by various municipal
   offices.

   To destroy a record that is not presently included on this disposal
   schedule or the Administration/Personnel (23/89) disposal schedule, submit
   a letter in duplicate to the Supervisor of Public Records. The letter
   should indicate: schedule number; date of last schedule revision; series
   number; estimated volume; inclusive dates for each series to be destroyed;
   and the date of the last audit or settlement of levy, if applicable. If
   possible, attach a photocopy of the record.

   12. If items subject to audit are dated with the current fiscal year and
   have already been audited, they should be retained through the end of the
   applicable fiscal year (June 30) or later, as necessary. If items subject
   to audit are dated with the current calendar year and have already been
   audited, they should be retained through the end of the applicable
   calendar year (Dec. 31) or later, as necessary.

   13. Disposal schedules apply to information, not the media containing the
   information. If records maintained on electronic media (for example,
   magnetic tape disk or optical data storage systems) are printed out in an
   eye-readable format (paper or microfilm), the original electronic records
   may be immediately destroyed. In this case a permission letter would not
   need to be sent to the Supervisor of Public Records.

   If the electronic record is the sole source of the information, it must be
   treated in the same manner as its hard copy counterparts for the purposes
   of disposal, and must be maintained in accordance with the disposal
   schedule.

             SAMPLE LETTER TO REQUEST PERMISSION TO DESTROY RECORDS

                        [Record Custodian's Letter head]

   [Date]

   Secretary of the Commonwealth

   Supervisor of Public Records

   Archives Division-Records Management Unit

   Massachusetts Archives at Columbia Point

   220 Morrissey Boulevard

   Boston MA 02125

   Dear Supervisor:

   This is to request authorization to destroy the records listed on the
   [list schedule name here e.g., Public Library] records disposal schedule
   [list schedule number here e.g., 28/96] revised [list date of last
   revision; this date is on the top right corner of the records disposal
   schedule] as follows:

   SERIES NUMBER INCLUSIVE DATES

     1. January 1, 1972 to June 30, 1975

     4. January 1, 1979 to June 30, 1981

   Estimated volume: 2.5 cubic feet

   The last audit of accounts of this office was completed on [list date and
   year here e.g., Sept. 1, 1998]. I certify that to the best of my knowledge
   these records do not pertain to any current public record request or to
   any current or pending litigation to which this office is a party.

   Very truly yours,

   [Signature of legal Records Custodian]

   APPROVED: _______________________________________

   Supervisor of Public Records

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|           |Series name (* =perm |  Legal   | Disposition  |Hardcopy
|Series|Date last|
| Function  |  not required for   | citation |    period    |retention|number|
revised |
|           |    destruction)     |          |              |required |      |

|-----------+---------------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+---------|
|Circulation|Application for a    |c.78, s.7 |After use.    |       No|28.1  |
 1/1/96|
|Records.   |Library Card*        |          |              |         |      |

|-----------+---------------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+---------|
|Circulation|Bibliographic        |c.78,     |After         |       No|28.2  |
 1/1/96|
|Records.   |Database*            |ss.7,8,9  |deaccession.  |         |      |

|-----------+---------------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+---------|
|Circulation|Circulation Records* |c.78, s.7 |After use.    |       No|28.3  |
 1/1/96|
|Records.   |                     |          |              |         |      |

|-----------+---------------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+---------|
|Circulation|Complaint and        |          |After         |       No|28.4  |
 1/1/96|
|Records.   |Censorship Records*  |          |resolution.   |         |      |

|-----------+---------------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+---------|
|Circulation|Fine Payment Request |          |After use.    |       No|28.5  |
 1/1/96|
|Records.   |Form*                |          |              |         |      |

|-----------+---------------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+---------|
|           |                     |          |After         |         |      |

|Circulation|Patron Information   |c.78,     |expiration of |         |      |

|Records.   |Database*            |ss.7,8    |patron's      |       No|28.6  |
 1/1/96|
|           |                     |          |borrowing     |         |      |

|           |                     |          |privileges.   |         |      |

|-----------+---------------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+---------|
|Director's |Annual Report to     |c.78,     |When          |       No|28.8  |
 1/1/96|
|Records.   |Library Commissioners|s.19B     |superseded.   |         |      |

|-----------+---------------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+---------|
|Director's |Annual Reports       |c.78, s.12|Permanent (one|      Yes|28.7  |
 1/1/96|
|Records.   |                     |          |mint copy).   |         |      |

|-----------+---------------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+---------|
|Director's |Library Building     |c.78, 19E |20 years.     |       No|28.9  |
 1/1/96|
|Records.   |Program Files        |          |              |         |      |

|-----------+---------------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+---------|
|Director's |Library Improvement  |c.78, s.19|7 years.      |       No|28.10 |
 1/1/96|
|Records.   |Program Files        |          |              |         |      |

|-----------+---------------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+---------|
|Director's |Long Range Program   |c.78, s.  |When          |       No|28.11 |
 1/1/96|
|Records.   |Files                |19        |superseded.   |         |      |

|-----------+---------------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+---------|
|Director's |Master Plan          |c.78, ss. |Permanent.    |       No|28.12 |
 1/1/96|
|Records.   |                     |19E, 19H  |              |         |      |

|Director's |Meeting Minutes      |s.11;     |Permanent.    |      Yes|28.13 |
 1/1/96|
|Records.   |                     |c.39,     |              |         |      |