Re: NT Emacs and Cygwin

From: Elvin Peterson
Subject: Re: NT Emacs and Cygwin
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:57:26 +0530

HÃ¥kon Alstadheim wrote:
"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

From: David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 21:15:39 +0100

You need to modify PATH outside of Emacs, and before Emacs is invoked,
to get what you want.

Not necessarily.

exec-path's value is ("/usr/kerberos/bin" "/usr/local/bin" "/usr/bin" "/bin" "/usr/X11R6/bin" "/home/dak/bin" "/usr/local/emacs-21/libexec/emacs/21.3.50/i686-pc-linux-gnu")

IIRC, exec-path is effective only for programs for which Emacs
actively looks for the program's executable.  Examples include
programs that are part of the Emacs distribution, like hexl.  I
assumed the OP was complaining about commands like M-!, for which
Emacs does not look for the executable, but lets the OS find them.

In which case the SETENV should work, since sub-shells will be
affected by the SETENV call.

M-x grep, M-x find-* would (I guess) benefit from having exec-path
adjusted.

Exactly--since emacs spawns a new cmd shell, it should pass the new PATH value along. However, I find that many OS specific functions are simply not implemented in Windows for Emacs. (ref my post earlier about the allowable characters in a filename not being implemented.)

Thanks to all who replied.