ange-ftp -- entering USER and PASS failed

From: ken
Subject: ange-ftp -- entering USER and PASS failed
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 07:36:10 -0500

Having some trouble with ange-ftp.  I've got the following in my ~/.netrc:

machine ftp.ovfoobar.org login ken@ovfoobar.org password passfoobar

This gets me into the ftp.ovfoobar.org just fine. I don't have to enter either a username or password. Here's a session capture (The C-m characters don't show up onscreen during the session, but "script" picked them up, so I'm leaving them in should they be significant... well, my mail client cleared them anyway):

$ ftp -vd ftp.ovfoobar.org
Connected to premium4.ftp.geo.yahoo.akadns.net.
220-Welcome to the Yahoo! Web Hosting FTP server.
220-Need help? Get all details at:
220-http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/webhosting/gftp/
220-
220-No anonymous logins accepted.
220 Yahoo!
---> AUTH GSSAPI
530 Please login with USER and PASS.
---> AUTH KERBEROS_V4
530 Please login with USER and PASS.
KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
---> USER ken@ovfoobar.org
331-Enter your Yahoo! member password
331 ---> PASS XXXX
230-You are using 0.0% of your subscribed disk space
230-You have 3999.338 MB of space available
230 ---> SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8 Version: BSD-199506
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> pwd
---> PWD
257 "/" is current directory.
ftp> dir
ftp: setsockopt (ignored): Permission denied
---> PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (66,218,65,244,163,78)
---> LIST
150  Opening ASCII mode data connection for  .
[....]
226  Transfer complete.
ftp> quit
---> QUIT
221-You have transferred 0 bytes in 0 files
221-Total traffic for this session was 726 bytes in 0 transfers.
221-Thank you for using the FTP service on ftp.us.geocities.com.
221 Goodbye.

So you see that ftp from the CLI works just fine. However, when I try using ange-ftp to access the same site (using find-file-other-window "/ftp.ovfoobar.org:index.html"), I get errors:

ftp> open ftp.ovfoobar.org
Connected to premium4.ftp.geo.yahoo.akadns.net.
220-Welcome to the Yahoo! Web Hosting FTP server.
220-Need help? Get all details at:
220-http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/webhosting/gftp/
220-
220-No anonymous logins accepted.
220 Yahoo!
user "ken@ovfoobar.org" Turtle Power!
530 Please login with USER and PASS.

And there it ends. That is, the Internal Ange-ftp buffer opens stating "ftp: no process", displaying the information above, and the remote file doesn't open. There's a message in the minibuffer to the effect that entering USER and PASS failed. (This message disappears as soon as I start typing here so I can't hand copy it and I can't cut-n-paste it either.) If I had to guess, I'd say that ange-ftp isn't waiting for the 530 from the remote system. But that's just how it looks to the underinformed eye.

If that's not strange enough, I ran the same emacs command a second time and was prompted for the password-- the first time I wasn't. (Why should it behave differently the second time?) The second time I got exactly the same error buffer as the first time.

I set "ange-ftp-try-passive-mode t", tried again and got exactly the same errors.

I'm using an older emacs version:

GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
of 2003-02-20 on porky.devel.redhat.com

Ange-ftp is a great package. And it's been around for a long time, so I wouldn't think that I would really need to upgrade it. Upgrading emacs would be a bit problemmatic: in short, I'd be compelled to upgrade the entire OS (RH9 is no longer supported), so I hope there's an easier fix.

tia,
ken

--
Reality is complicated.