Re: how to set window starting coordinates?

From: Mickey Ferguson
Subject: Re: how to set window starting coordinates?
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:45:45 -0800

"Jesper Harder" <harder@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
news:m2r7kn5vfd.fsf@Jesper-Harders-Computer.local...
> "Mickey Ferguson" <MFerguson@peinc.com> writes:
>
> > I'm using GNU Emacs 21.3.1 on Windows XP.  Is there a way for me to set
the
> > location and size of the window when I first start it from the windows
Start
> > Menu (runemacs.exe)?
>
> See <http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/faq4.html>.

This looks promising.  From the FAQ:

To reposition an Emacs frame using elisp, you can use the set-frame-position
function. For example, to move the current frame to the offset (10, 30), you
could use:

    (set-frame-position (selected-frame) 10 30)

I also used M-x apropos on the set-frame-position, and it says this:

(set-frame-position FRAME XOFFSET YOFFSET)

Sets position of FRAME in pixels to XOFFSET by YOFFSET.
This is actually the position of the upper left corner of the frame.
Negative values for XOFFSET or YOFFSET are interpreted relative to
the rightmost or bottommost possible position (that stays within the
screen).

Now what I want is to be able to specify my window (frame) to be up against
the right-hand side of my screen.  So I thought I would use (set-frame
position (selected-frame) -0 0).  Nope, it interprets -0 the same as 0.  The
best I could do was -1 0, which left a little space between my window and
the edge of the screen.  Is there any way to specify it flush-right?  Or is
this a bug where it should interpret -0 as meaning flush-right, but it's
not?