Re: umlauts (8bit characters) input

From: Ismael Valladolid Torres
Subject: Re: umlauts (8bit characters) input
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:59:25 +0100

David Kastrup escribe:
> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:
>
> > Am 02.02.2005 um 13:38 schrieb David Kastrup:
> >
> >> In "Terminal" vs "in Shell"?  What are you doing?
> >
> > I am using Mac OS X 10.3.7, also known as Panther.
>
> Which is not exactly renowned as being very POSIX-compliant.
>
> > It has an application called "Terminal" or "Terminal.app" that is a
> > terminal emulation. Inside it a tcsh is running -- I am too old to
> > convert to bash so I stand to my very old decision to use a nice
> > shell with history and substitution. And to GNU Emacs too.
>
> So you are using some textterminal thingy that apparently is not
> overly consistent with what the locale specifies.
>
> Try a unicode-capable xterm instead.  Maybe that helps.
>
> I am afraid your problem is more Mac-specific than Emacs-specific.

When I was younger so much younger than today, I never achieved Emacs
managing properly latin characters on Terminal.app nor in any of its
substitutes (sorry I don't remember their names). However I achieved
compiling CVS Emacs as a Carbon app and worked lovely.

Information [1]here was damn useful!

Cordially, Ismael

1. http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-emacs/