Re: modeline should note file gotten-via-symlink

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: modeline should note file gotten-via-symlink
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 01:45:35 +0000 (UTC)

In article <87mztw644c.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@gnu.org>,
Stefan Monnier  <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> "Click" (hit <return>) on it, and you end up with a buffer named
>> run-tools.smd (the name of the symlink), the buffer's *contents* being the
>> pointed-to file "run-tools--16.29.8.smd".
>
>> Fine and good; nice rms-DWIM, does what I wanted.
>
>This is no rms-DWIM, it's just the way Unix symlinks work.
>It's all done in the kernel for you.
>This is not to say that Emacs can't do anything about it, of course.
>        Stefan

No, no, that's not what I meant.

It was that *in general*, *throughout* emacs, I experience lots
of DWIM, and I think it's all *brilliantly* done.

Like the default-actions that are taken when you don't
specify a command-arg, for instance.

  C-x b    is pretty good about choosing the buffer I want.

 or when you take an action of some kind, that maybe
  seems ambiguous as what the effect will be,
  and what ends up happening turns out to be just
  what I wanted -- even though I might not have
  known it beforehand!

Lots and lots of brainpower have gotten into emacs,
from probably hundreds of very clever people (each of
whom actually used the product many hours *each day* --
so unlike at a commercial software house!), over
*many, many* years (what, since '75 or so?).

Anyway, just my opinion.

David