Re: nqemacs freezes

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: nqemacs freezes
Date: 06 Mar 2005 05:38:13 -0800

> >The nqmacs build is rather old -- 01/30/2005 -- so maybe these
> >problems have already been fixed.
>
> Please describe your criterions for 'old', regarding this:
>
> >> nqmacs/emacs-21.3.50.1-20050130c-w32.zip
>
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/#Stable
>   Latest stable release:  21.4 (Feb 6, 2005)
> Please don't get me wrong; I'd gracefully appreciate any pointers to a
> newer (read: working) binary version for Windows.  I'm keen on the "New
> Kid from the Block".  The first impression wasn't too overwhelming,
> though.

I hope you know that Nqmacs is simply a build of the Emacs CVS trunk,
i.e. the code that will be released as Emacs 22.1 once the bugs are
ironed out. Since bugs are fixed in the CVS trunk every day, yes, a
build more than a month old is fairly "old". Comparing it to the last
stable release of Emacs is like comparing apples and oranges.

If you want a newer Emacs and are not afraid to use unreleased code
(and judging by your use of Nqmacs you aren't), the easiest way is to
build it yourself. You don't need Cygwin, either. One site that may be
useful is

http://www.student.lu.se/~tps95lbn/Emacs/EmacsSetupUtilities.html