Re: Special characters on Emacs/Mac?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Special characters on Emacs/Mac?
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 09:30:30 +0100

Am 09.03.2005 um 02:15 schrieb Ulrich Hobelmann:

That variable is t. So I guess alt should be free for other things, or does Emacs somehow interfere with the native input method? Anyhow, I guess I could live with the latin-1-prefix or some other Emacs input method.

You shouldn't guess that much, but read a bit:

mac-command-key-is-meta's value is t

        Non-nil means that the command key is used as the Emacs meta key.
        Otherwise the option key is used.

In your situation the alt or the option key ⌥ is free create all the special glyphs of your Mac's keyboard. These can be meaningful too:

        (set-language-environment               'German)
        (setq file-name-coding-system   'utf-8)
        (setq default-buffer-file-coding-system 'mac-roman-unix)
        (set-default-coding-systems             'mac-roman-unix)
        (set-keyboard-coding-system             'mac-roman)
        (prefer-coding-system                   'mac-roman-unix)

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny..." [Isaac Asimov]