Re: Emacs NOT running on runlevel 3 ?!

From: Jaeil Choi
Subject: Re: Emacs NOT running on runlevel 3 ?!
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 04:17:47 -0500

David Hansen wrote:
On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 02:04:40 -0500 Jaeil Choi wrote:

When it was executed with "-nw" command line option
on runlevel 3 of Fedora Core 3,
X11 dynamic library(!) camplains about undefined 'yKeycode'.
Do emacs really need X11 when it's executed with "-nw" option ?

If it's linked against Xlib: yes.  But it should be possible to
compile it w/o X (./configure --without-x) or try to link
statically or mount the partition with the X libraries.

David

I'm think about situations where we want to use Emacs in
emergencies to recover linux.
It's natural to be linked with Xlib, since we don't want to
use Emacs in text mode all the time.

Then, the question is, do we have to keep another version
of Emacs executable compiled without Xlib to use in runlevel 3,
while 'emacs -nw' works fine in terminals if Linux's on runlevel 5 ?

Probably that's not what it's meant to be.
Emacs is supposed to adapt itself to environment appropriately.