Re: Emacs NOT running on runlevel 3 ?!

From: David Hansen
Subject: Re: Emacs NOT running on runlevel 3 ?!
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 10:51:56 +0100

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 04:17:47 -0500 Jaeil Choi wrote:

> I'm think about situations where we want to use Emacs in
> emergencies to recover linux.
> It's natural to be linked with Xlib, since we don't want to
> use Emacs in text mode all the time.
>
> Then, the question is, do we have to keep another version
> of Emacs executable compiled without Xlib to use in runlevel 3,
> while 'emacs -nw' works fine in terminals if Linux's on runlevel 5 ?
>
> Probably that's not what it's meant to be.
> Emacs is supposed to adapt itself to environment appropriately.

If emacs is linked against Xlib and the linker can't find it you
can't run emacs.  It's that easy.

Either you have two versions of emacs or you link it
statically.  BTW, if you want to use emacs to fix a broken
system, you don't want any dependencies on any libraries in
/usr/lib/.

I strongly recommend to compile your own version with as much
--disable-foo as possible and install it --with-prefix=/ (check
with ldd src/emacs if any dependencies are left and link
statically if you can't avoid them).

IMHO emacs is just not made for these kinds of editing tasks.

David