Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly

From: Steinar Børmer
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 11:46:22 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:

| Transient mark mode is an abomination.  It really needed to be
| replaced by the implementation of temporary transient mark mode (which
| also is activated by dragging the mouse) in Emacs 22.
|
| Have you tried CVS Emacs recently?  There definitely is no reason to
| use transient-mark mode permanently any more.

I don't quite see how you can say that.  Temporary transient mark mode
has a point, yes, but I would rather have it enabled permanently rather
than needing a keybinding each time I need it.  (I never mark a region
with the mouse).

The problem for me is that without transient mark mode, I often run into
situations where I mark the "wrong" region, and then I have to go back
and do it all over again.  Then I'd have to press `C-SPC C-SPC' before
marking once more.

Would you care to elaborate on this?

--
SB