Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:43:07 +0000

PT <mailshield.gg@mailnull.com> wrote on Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:01:19 +0100:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:16:24 +0100, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:

>> Emacs has not shown itself to accommodate systematic corporate
>> involvement well.  It will as far as I can see always be dependent on
>> dedicated individuals instead of corporate support, simply because you
>> can't make a business plan involving Emacs development and timelines.

> I see. In that case there really is no obvious benefit of devoting
> development resources to make Emacs more user friendly.

> BTW, it seems in the corporate world Eclipse will fill this space
> instead  of Emacs. It's a self described "universal tool platform - an
> open  extensible IDE for anything and nothing in particular". When a
> newbie  tells me he gave up on Emacs because is to alien I usually tell
> them to  use Eclipse instead. And they usually are happy, because it's
> nice, shiny  and point-and-clicky. :)

Like David, I've neither seen nor used Eclipse.  You describe it as
"point-and-clicky".  I cannot use point-and-clicky interfaces when I'm
dealing with text - the mouse movements on the screen distract me too
much from the text I'm dealing with.  Thus I need Emacs's facility of
being fully usable without the mouse.  Is Eclipse also fully usable
without a mouse?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter