Re: Is Emacs becoming Word?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Is Emacs becoming Word?
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 13:43:40 +0200

> Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 23:15:33 -0800
> From: Greg Novak <novak@ucolick.org>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> None of the above?  I've never (intentionally) used Leim, and I didn't
> type C-\ before the /2.  I had font-lock-mode on, but wasn't in Latex
> mode.  I was in Python mode, and I typed nothing other than pi/2,
> which got translated to "pi(one_half_as_one_character)"

Then perhaps the Python mode did that.  What Python mode do you use?
Is it the one distributed with Emacs?

> And another thing: when I type " or ', Emacs seems to think that I'm
> trying to input a special character.  If I type 'a, I get an angstrom
> symbol, even though (again) I'm editing python code and I'm just
> trying to type a string that starts with a.

You definitely have one of the Latin-N input methods enabled in that
buffer (try 'a in a non-Python buffer--does it produce the same
result?).  Input methods are off by default, so something turned them
on.  I'd suspect Python mode.

In any case, you are barking the wrong tree: the problems you
mentioned are not due to changed defaults, they are due to your own
customizations or optional features, such as Python mode, that you are
using.