Re: Is Emacs becoming Word?

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: Re: Is Emacs becoming Word?
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:08:52 -0600

   | > As far as new features being on by default goes, I can understand
   | > why leaving them on might be a good idea. If I hate them it gives me
   | > an incentive to read up on them to figure out how to turn them off,
   | > and if I like them, I'd probably never see them unless they were on
   | > by default,
   |
   | True, but I think a good compromise would be Joe Corneli's idea in the
   | post he referenced where new features would be "tentatively" turned on
   | and would explain what they're doing, perhaps in the minibuffer, when
   | they do something that could be considered "strange."  This could also
   | include instructions about how to turn the behavior off.

   This would be similar to the features that are currently "disabled" for
   new users, such as scroll-left.

But now I'm thinking that it might be even nicer to be able to get
help on the last event, or sequence of events... (apropos "history")
doesn't seem to list anything quite like what I'm thinking of.  The
idea would be that something that behaved like `command-history' (or
`view-lossage') but that lists events coming from Emacs, rather than
things coming from the user.  Furthemore, instead of just saying *what
happened*, one should be able to get further information about the
functions that have run, specifically, information about their
configuration.

This would mean that no particular set of distinguished functions
would have to be turned on "tentatively", but rather, one could get
good contextual help on pretty much any user-visible event.