aspell and flyspell-buffer

From: Marco De Vitis
Subject: aspell and flyspell-buffer
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:43:13 +0200

Hello,
I sometimes edit XML files with Emacs, using Mandrakelinux. After editing a file, I used to launch M-x flyspell-buffer to spellcheck the whole buffer at once, and then, after hiding XML tags (View -> Hide Tags), I had a great and easy view of any mispelled word.

In its latest releases, aspell has become the default spell checking system in Mandrakelinux. For some reason, this breaks - it seems - flyspell's behaviour for "large regions" (i.e. when the buffer is larger than the limit set in flyspell prefs, over which a separate ispell process is normally launched): it just returns a "Can't check region" error. I can increase the "large region" limit or simply disable it, so that everything is always considered to be a "small region", but the process is very slow this way, much more than it used to be: it takes more than 10 minutes to highlight words in a 26 kB file.
Maybe it would be faster if I could make it ignore XML tags.

Can anyone suggest a workaround for this, or any other solution to have a global view of all mispelled words at once, with or without Emacs?

Thanks in advance.

--
Ciao,
  Marco.