Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly

From: Nathan Hess
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly
Date: 09 Apr 2005 14:01:19 -0400

PT <mailshield.gg@mailnull.com> writes:

> Exactly. My heretic idea is to rethink the whole Emacs interface
> (defaults, keybindings). Make the default Emacs very similary to modern
> CUA-based applications. Give less reason for the newbies to give up in
> disgust.

As I remember, this thread began with a request for some sort of help
for newbies involving default keybindings, etc.  The original desire
seemed to be to be able to put

        (newbie-mode)

in people's .emacs files, and have Emacs operate with function keys
doing "useful" things, etc.

It seems to me that there is nothing in such an effort that requires the
default behavior of Emacs to change at all; the new bindings and
functionality would only take place in newbie mode.  So, maybe the
original poster could begin by writing and posting elisp code for such a
newbie mode that begins down that road, and others can expand/enhance it.

That activity might be more fruitful than going back and forth about
default, out-of-the-box Emacs behavior.

--woodstock
--
It's funny how you can go through life thinking you've seen
everything...  Then you suddenly realize there are millions of things