Re: Assigning keymaps / menu shorts / changing menu items

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Assigning keymaps / menu shorts / changing menu items
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 20:40:45 +0100

Many thanks for your hints.

> Lastly: how do I change a menu item?
> I know how to add submenus to a menu with easychange.el, but I couldn't
> figure out how to actually change the text of an arbitrary item. Is
> that possible?

Find the key-sequence corresponding to it with C-h k, then
(define-key [theseysequence] '(menu-item ...)).
See the elisp manual's description of menus and `menu-item' for more info.

OK, but I wouldn't want to contruct a completely new menu-item, I would just want to exchange the text. Now, when I do something like

(lookup-key global-map [menu-bar file open-file])

all I get is the pure command, 'find-file-existing, in this case - but not the arguments :enable and :help that were defined in menu-bar.el:

(define-key menu-bar-file-menu [open-file]
  '(menu-item "Open File..." find-file-existing
              :enable (not (window-minibuffer-p
                            (frame-selected-window menu-updating-frame)))
              :help "Read an existing file into an Emacs buffer"))

So in order to _change_ single elements of a menu-item, I need to read out everything that define-key was called with in menu-bar.el.

Of course, I could tinker with menu-bar.el directly or copy stuff out of it, but that would be no fun to keep up to date...

Thanks in advance
-- Dave