Re: "Easy" Windows Emacs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: "Easy" Windows Emacs
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 17:15:55 +0200

Klaus Berndl <klaus.berndl@sdm.de> writes:

> BTW: This discussion leads for me to the old topic concerning the
> lack of a package-system of GNU-Emacs - IMHO one of the most
> disadvantages of GNU compared to XEmacs - surely, that one of XEmacs
> is not perfect (really not ;-) but after all it *IS* a
> package-system which can make live easier - at least for the users
> and for the newbies

Users and newbies tend not to use it, and its use conflicts with the
package management of distributions, anyway.  So the typical usage is
installing the sumo package from your distribution and never touch it
again.

The price to pay for that is that packages sometimes incompatible with
the core of XEmacs you are using, and are often quite outdated.

> - maybe not for the package-programmers ;-) But a well defined
> package-interface could also have a lot of advantages for the
> package-programmer...but now I'm going really off topic i see... ;-)

I am not of the opinion that the XEmacs package system has been a
factor that has increased the productivity of end users as well as
developers significantly.  Partly this might be ascribed to the
centralized distribution channels of it that make it impossible for
third parties to provide packages through the XEmacs package manager.