Re: Does anyone use menus?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Does anyone use menus?
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:16:44 +0000

Dmitriy <darqin@rambler.ru> wrote on Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:57:32 +0400:
> Hello,

> what do you think of menus importance for vim?

Hmm.  "Importance" in what sense?  I would think they're of comparatively
low importance if you're talking about the capabilities of vim, of high
importance if you're talking about giving users what they want.

> How often do the people use menus, or commands are enough to make one
> happy?

I think People either use menus continually, or not at all.  I doubt
there're many who use them occasionally.

> Would anyone complain if there were no menus at all?

Most assuredly!  But I wouldn't.

> I am developing an IDE supporting a number of external plug-in editors
> including vim.

You're crazy.  ;-)

> I am about to use no menus for emacs plug-in, because of interference
> with IDE's own menu system. So I wonder if it would make any problems
> for emacs users.

Why bother?  The people who use Emacs menus will hardly use your IDE if
the Emacs menus are suppressed.  Emacs users like me who don't use menus
wouldn't be using the menus in your IDE either.  So you might as well
just leave out menus altogether, and save the effort for improved
functionality.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter