Re: Hi all

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Hi all
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 01:07:48 +0200

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
>>(info "(emacs) Emacs Invocation")
>>
> There might be different opinions on that. I do not think it covers
> what most users would want in a good way. You can indeed use the
> information that is there to start Emacs and go to a specific line in
> a specific file.

And that was what the original poster asked for.  So what are the
"different opinions on that" supposed to be?

> The problem is that the way Emacs is started then might not be the
> way you want it to start.
>
> What is the problem you might wonder then? It is that doing it that
> way you invoke a new copy of Emacs.

Well, look up the meaning of the word "start" in a dictionary of your
choice.

> You can avoid this trouble but. The solution is to run Emacs as an
> editing server.

[...]

> The solution will however be a little bit more complex. You will
> have to use the argument for evaluation of code. A simple solution
> will be to use the two functions find-file and goto-line.

Hogwash.

(info "(emacs) Invoking emacsclient")

    File: emacs,  Node: Invoking emacsclient,  Prev: Emacs Server,  Up: Emacs
Server

    41.1 Invoking `emacsclient'

    To run the `emacsclient' program, specify file names as arguments, and
    optionally line numbers as well.  Do it like this:

         emacsclient {[+LINE[COLUMN]] FILENAME}...

    This tells Emacs to visit each of the specified files; if you specify a
    line number for a certain file, Emacs moves to that line in the file.

You really are not too fond of reading the manual, right?