Re: applying changes in .emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: applying changes in .emacs
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:25:19 +0300

> Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 07:16:55 -0700
> From: Baloff <vddr2u@bi.edu.gr>
>
> this is a command to apply chnages I just did to my .emacs to take
> effect without having to reopen emacs. could someone say it?

There's no command to do that, since quite a few fragments in a
typical .emacs file cannot be re-evaluated without causing bad side
effects.

The simplest way of doing what you want is to manually evaluate the
expressions that you added to your .emacs.  For example, assuming that
you added a line like this:

    (frobnicate foo bar baz)

position cursor to the right of the closing right parenthesis and
press "C-x C-e".  Do this with every top-level Lisp expression you
added or modified, and that would produce the desired effect.