dirvars and mode: Local Variable problem

From: Jochen Küpper
Subject: dirvars and mode: Local Variable problem
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 09:47:51 +0200

I am using dirvars for several projects to set project specific local
variables, for example add-log-mailing-address. Generally this works
quite nicely, but in some modes (i.e. cc-mode, Python-mode) it does
not work if there is a Local Variable specification in the file
containing the mode, i.e.:
,----
| mode: C++
`----
This is sometimes necessary, the above for example in C++ header files
(which would be opened in C-mode otherwise).

I can work around it by calling dirvars explicitely from some
appropriate hooks:
,----
| (add-hook 'c-mode-common-hook 'dirvars-hack-local-variables-before)
`----

However, I would prefer that not to be necessary. How do other people
deal with this? Is there a better way of handling this, probably even
some configuration to do it right?

Any hints are appreciated.

Greetings,
Jochen
        (Part 3 you find in my messages before fall 2003.)