Re: New balance-windows

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: New balance-windows
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 20:11:44 +0200

>> |            |X         |
>> |            |          | configuration
>> |            |          |      2
>> -------------------------
>> |           |           |
>> -------------------------
>>
>> If I now do another enlarge-window, I would be surprised if the
>> direction of enlargement would suddenly change.
>
> The direction of enlargement (vertical or horizontal) is given by
> the user, how could that be changed by the split tree.

Look at the problem from the other side!

Why the user could not start from configuration 1 above, enlarge
window X to reach configuration 0, and then enlarge window X in the
other direction to reach configuration 1?

The only reason it's not possible is because emacs cast it in C
firmware, instead of leaving it up to user emacs lisp code.

If the split tree was available, one could easily swap some split
nodes without changing the window leaves, to change the direction and
enable that.

For example in this configuration:

+---+---+
| 1 | 3 |
+---+---+
| 2 | 4 |
+---+---+

we would have a split tree such as: (H (V 1 2) (V 3 4))
if the user clicked on 1|3 separation to move it horizontally, we
could change the split tree to: (V (H 1 3) (H 2 4))

+----+--+
| 1  |3 |
+---++--+
| 2 | 4 |
+---+---+

On the other hand, perhaps we need to add something to this split tree
idea, to alloww the emacs user interface easily let the use move the +
in the middle in any direction, to let the user go from configuration
0 to this in one click-and-drag:

+-+-----+
|1|  3  |
+-+-----+
| |     |
|2|  4  |
| |     |
+-+-----+

in addition to allowing indiscriminate horizontal or vertical window
resizing.