Re: How can I get vc-svn.el?

From: Peter Milliken
Subject: Re: How can I get vc-svn.el?
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 09:34:45 +1000

Last time I tried to get vc-mode working with svn it didn't - but that was
some considerable time ago now, so perhaps the psvn currently available
works around those problems. From memory, the issue wasn't so much in the
file available from SVN but rather that the emacs files had to have some
extensive rework before they would work with SVN. The next (released)
version of Emacs will have all the appropriate fixes installed - and that
release isn't terribly far away. I have been snooping on the developers
mailing list and it is definitely on the horizon (although exactly when is
always a big question that nobody will answer/commit too! :-)).

The solution I used was to download and build the CVS tip of Emacs - svn
access works like a charm then :-) You can access nightly dumps of the CVS
archives (assumes that you cannot access the CVS tip directly - I am behind
a firewall at work and it won't let me through, so I use the nightly dumps)
from http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs-backup/. Then to build from source it
depends on what OS you are using - if Windows then you'll need to install
cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/). You will also need some of the MingW
tools - I really can't remember exactly what I installed here but if you
have a look at http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/w32-build-emacs.html you should
be able to muddle through (well I did :-)).

Goodluck,
Peter

"Bill Wohler" <wohler@newt.com> wrote in message
> "Paul Crowell" <crowell@Magma-DA.COM> writes:
>
> > I want to use subversion from vc-mode. How can I get this file?
>
> svn co http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/client-side/psvn
>
> --
> Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG
ID:610BD9AD