Re: Window size specification ignored

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Window size specification ignored
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 23:54:52 +0200

Am 11.09.2005 um 19:52 schrieb August Karlstrom:

When I run emacs with

   emacs -g <w>x<h>

I get a non-maximized window of size w x (h - 3) if h <= 32. If h > 32 the window is maximized. The setting in ~/.emacs is still ignored, even if I set height to e.g. 24. Strange indeed.

There might be some bug in Ubuntu -- or in your .emacs file! To try to find where this error comes from you can launch GNU Emacs with the -Q or the -q options, together with -g WxH. With -q Emacs does not load .emacs nor default.el, with -Q even the site-{start|init}.el files aren't loaded and no splash screen is shown. So there is a difference and you can get a glue where the error happens.

Modern Emacsen understand --fullheight/-fh, --fullscreen/-fs, --fullwidth/-fw. Are you sure you never use these switches, neither on the command line (in an alias, and you can check what has been passed to Emacs with ps) nor in .emacs nor as an X ressource (xrdb -query)? Some X ressources are unspecific so that many X clients can use it.

--
Greetings

  Pete

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by" (Douglas Adams)