Re: Delete M-TAB behaviour in Emacs

From: Neon Absentius
Subject: Re: Delete M-TAB behaviour in Emacs
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 23:42:17 +0000

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 05:39:03PM +0200, Cesαreo Garcνa Rodicio wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm using emacs since several years ago. I use WindowMaker manager and
> my Debian install left my Emacs with M-TAB use in Emacs, and NOT to
> change between Windows (that's what I'm expecting)
>
> I've review lists, google and even change my .xmodmap file but I
> couldn't do that.

What do you mean you couldn't? you tried and it didn't work?

I had a similar problem with fvwm2.  Although I could change the
window manager key binding I find the Alt-Tab binding really
convenient. The solution I found was to distinguish between the Meta
Key and the Alt Key in my .xmodmap. I use a pc-104 keyboard and I have
the "operating-system-logo" keys -- instead of the Alt -- bound to Meta.
That way I can use the Alt-Tab key to switch between X-windows and still
keep the M-Tab binding for emacs.

There is a very nice program the xkeycaps that you can use to
configure graphically your .xmodmap.  If you use a pc-104 keyboard it
will automatically distinguish Alt and Meta in the manner I described
above and emacs will be happy to use the new key afterwards. There is
a Debian package for xkeycaps.

HTH

--
Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the
people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so