Re: applying changes in .emacs

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: applying changes in .emacs
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 09:59:16 -0600

don provan wrote:
> Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:
>>For example, if you want to double the default value of some variable:
>>
>>(setq max-lisp-eval-depth (* 2 max-lisp-eval-depth))
>
> Why would you want to configure a value to twice the current value?
> It's specifically saying that if the standard value ever changes, you
> want to change the value you use to remain relative to the new value.
> Seems silly.

Let's say that all I know is that the standard value is too small,
because otherwise some function signals an error and I can't accomplish
my goal.  I don't know or care what the standard value is, or even what
units it has, but I do know I need to increase it.  I'd rather do
something like doubling it than setting it to some arbitrary value.  If
the standard value changes in the future, who cares?  If such a change
(or some other implementation change) makes the doubling unnecessary I
can simply delete it -- I purge my .emacs of such hacks when a new major
version is released.

--
Kevin Rodgers