undo custom delete

From: Shug Boabby
Subject: undo custom delete
Date: 4 Oct 2005 09:03:49 -0700

Hi everyone,

I have used a very neat custom backspace key for a while now, which
will hungry delete back to the current level of indentation. I found it
on the emacs mailing list some time ago (Stefan Monnier originally
wrote it).

However I have had a little bit of trouble with it when it comes to
undo... normally if you type a word in emacs and then delete it, one
letter at a time (using the normal delete command), one utterance of
"C-x u" will return the whole word. However, with this custom command,
the letters are returned one at a time.

Could somebody please have a look at this code and suggest an
improvement to allow undo to work correctly? Or perhaps there is a list
of such commands with this property that undo needs to know about...
which I cannot find.

thanks,
Shug

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;; Fancy delete key
;; This function was written by Stefan Monnier
(defun fancy-backspace ()
  "Delete space backward to prev level of indentation."
  (interactive)
  (if (or (bolp) (save-excursion (skip-chars-backward " \t") (not
(bolp))))
      ;; If we're not inside indentation, behave as usual.
      (call-interactively 'backward-delete-char-untabify)
    ;; We're inside indentation.
    (let* ((col (current-column))
           (destcol
            (save-excursion
              ;; Skip previous lines that are more indented than us.
              (while (and (not (bobp))
                          (zerop (forward-line -1))
                          (skip-chars-forward " \t")
                          (>= (current-column) col)))
              (current-column))))
      (delete-region (point)(progn(move-to-column destcol) (point))))))
(global-set-key "\C-?" 'fancy-backspace)
;; note: C, lisp and a few other modes need this defined locally