Re: Non-Commutative calculations in Calc, Revisited

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: Non-Commutative calculations in Calc, Revisited
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 16:31:39 -0500

Jay Belanger <belanger@truman.edu> writes:
>> Still it might be usefull to have an assmption that all variables are
>> square matrices of *unspecified* dimension.

Now (with the current CVS Emacs), (a*b)^n will not be rewritten as
a^n*b^n if a and b are matrices (such as in matrix mode), although
(a*b)^-1 will become b^-1*a^-1 if a and b are known to be square
matrices.
Also, while calling matrix mode with `C-u N m v' will result in an NxN
matrix mode, calling it with `C-u m v' will result in a square matrix mode,
as suggested above.
The documentation has not been updated yet.
Also, I've noticed some previously existing problems which will be
fixed soon; such as if a variable is set to a matrix, Calc doesn't
recognize the variable itself as being a matrix while doing
calculations.

Jay