Re: Accelerating Emacs?

From: Herbert Euler
Subject: Re: Accelerating Emacs?
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 19:44:56 +0800

From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 12:18:27 +0200

That's very strange.  On my 3GHz box, the above takes 6 seconds in the
Windows port of the CVS Emacs.  What version of Emacs are you using
(what does "M-x emacs-version RET" display)?

It's 21.3 in Windows and 21.4 in Debian.

There's a problem, allright, but I'm unsure what kind, exactly.  When
you invoke "M-x texinfo-format-buffer", do you see in the echo area
messages like the following:

    Formatting: Passing the argument ...
    Formatting: Passing a negative argument ...
    Formatting: @code{yank-pop} ...
    Formatting: The @file{ring.el} File ...
    Formatting: A Graph with Labelled Axes ...
    Formatting: Labelled Example Graph ...
    Formatting: The @code{print-graph} Varlist ...
    Formatting: The @code{print-Y-axis} Function ...
    Formatting: What height should the label be? ...
    Formatting: Side Trip: Compute a Remainder ...
    Formatting: Construct a Y Axis Element ...
    Formatting: Create a Y Axis Column ...
    Formatting: The Not Quite Final Version of @code{print-Y-axis} ...
    Formatting: The @code{print-X-axis} Function ...
    Formatting: Similarities and differences ...

Also strange to me now. I tried that for more times, and sometimes
Emacs is so slow that I'm tired and then typed C-g to abort the generating
process, while it's OK in other trials. The job is half-finished when I
interrupt it. The signal of taking long time is Emacs prints one of the
messages listed above and stops there from continuing printing. If that
happens, the only way seems to be press C-g to abort it.

Is it because of some bugs in garbage collection? I don't know how to find
out what the problem is, so can't provide any constructive information.

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar - get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/