Re: howto: 2 users interactively edit the same file ?

From: kgold
Subject: Re: howto: 2 users interactively edit the same file ?
Date: 31 Oct 2005 21:48:22 GMT

Tim X <timx@spamto.devnul.com> writes:

> Have you actually tried this?
>
> I find it amazing this will work. The big problem is how can emacs,
> which doesn't support threads, handle simultaneous input from two
> distinct frames? I can't see how it can handle input from two
> different input devices simultaneously either. The physical displaying
> of the frame on another display is easy enough to understand - this is
> a feature of X windows which emacs is able to take advantage of when
> it is built with X lib support - but coping with input from two
> sources at the same time is a very different matter.
>
> I'm very much looking forward to seeing how this can be done and wish
> I had a second computer handy so that I could experiment for
> myself. I've redirected windows to remote displays before under X and
> that works quite will - it will be interesting to see how emacs can
> deal with the concurrency of two users. I hope the OP will keep us
> informed as to progress.

I just tried it again - works fine.  I used to do this all the time
for instant messaging sessions before IM was invented.

One machine was a pSeries running AIX and another was a Thinkpad
running Linux.

Warning: There is an obvious security issue, as the frame recipient
can start a shell and become you.  So you have to trust your partner.

--
Ken Goldman   kgold@watson.ibm.com   914-784-7646