Re: Speed up Emacs startup

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Speed up Emacs startup
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:18:37 +0100

Sébastien Vauban wrote:

Hi,

Just a quick question which does not seem so obvious to be
answered: is there an easy way to speed up Emacs launch without
sacrificing the readability and shortness of the .emacs file?

I mean: I don't like the autoload statements where you need tens
of lines instead of one require function call. Is it possible to
write a modified "require" that would provide the same kind of
effect (ie, load files only when they are truly needed OR when
the system is idle)?
Are you running Emacs as an "edit server"? If you use gnuserv/gnuclient you only have to start Emacs once (but maybe that is not your problem).