Re: C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n... why?

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n... why?
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:32:14 +0100

+ casioculture@gmail.com:

| In the tutorial it suggests I use C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n rather than
| arrow keys, why should i?

If you don't want to, don't.  The tutorial is very old.  As others
have explained, some keyboards don't have arrow keys, and with some
network connections, they may not work even if you have them.  But
this is much less a problem now than it was twenty years ago.

Personally, I use both arrow keys and C-p etc.  The latter have the
advantage that I don't need to move my hands to type them.  The arrow
keys have the advantage that they are bunched close together, so I
prefer them when I have lots of movement to do.  (But then other
movement commands may be more useful, such as M-f, M-b, M-a, M-e.)

| Trying to get used to this is such a pain. It's ludicrous.

Don't force yourself into doing something you're uncomfortable with.
Now /that/ is ludicrous.

- Debating gives most of us much more psychological satisfaction
  than thinking does: but it deprives us of whatever chance there is
  of getting closer to the truth.  -- C.P. Snow