Re: C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n... why?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n... why?
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 18:09:42 -0500

Peter Dyballa wrote:

Am 10.12.2005 um 23:13 schrieb roodwriter@core.com:

I think the tutorial should start with the arrow keys and then give the commands as options and the history behind them.

In (computer) history the arrow (cursor) keys came later ... and the tutorial is historically grown!

I too prefer mostly the arrow keys (and mouse cursor). Their use is too obvious to mention them that early in the tutorial, mentioning them could be done in a footnote. The recent state is fine in one particular sense: M-up does not scroll back in *shell* buffer's command history (because it's undefined); only M-p does. So I think it's necessary to teach C-{b,f,n,p} first to remember this as a way "move" in many things, in many sense.

--
Greetings

  Pete

"What is this talk of 'release'?  Klingons do not make software
'releases'.  Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of
designers and quality assurance people in its wake."

Not to get into a big dispute about it, but I remember when I first looked at the Emacs tutorial and saw you had to cursor with the control keys, my first thought was maybe I'd bitten off too much. When I found the arrow keys worked I relaxed and started learning. I've always wondered how many people were intimidated by the cursoring section and quit before starting. I wouldn't have had the initial doubts if it'd been clear from the beginning the arrow keys were usable.

But that's me. I'm glad Emacs does both.

--Rod
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical Consumers" and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." To reply by e-mail take the extra "o" from the name.