Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:53:28 +0200

> Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:29:03 +0100
> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>
> CC: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> >>Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 19:35:51 +0100
> >>From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>
> >>Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> >>
> >>See http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PrintWithWebBrowser
> >>

> >Yuck!  Don't we have a better way than to submit print jobs to Notepad
> >and Explorer??
> >
> Did you try it?

What for?  I've read the code, and I understand what it does.  I don't
doubt for a second that it will work, because I know what ShellExecute
is and does on Windows.

> I have not yet seen a more easy way to print with Emacs on MS
> Windows.

How is it easier than setting up lpr-program and printer-name in your
`.emacs' (which is what I do on all the Windows machines I use)?

> Before I wrote this I tested all the alternatives in the
> Emacs MS Windows FAQ. Nothing worked for the networked printers on my job.

The NTEmacs FAQ is very old and probably outdated; it is no longer
maintained, AFAIK.  If you wish to retrace the testing you did back
there, I'm sure we could find a solution that is better than passing
the buck to Notepad.

> What you get is printing in colors (if your printer supports it of
> course). It looks exactly as that you have on your screen in Emacs. This
> is what I need.

You are free to do what you want, but I have grave reservations about
recommending such solutions to Emacs users at large, while other
solutions exist.  Certainly not as the first alternative.  IMHO, at
the very least.