Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 16:50:34 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

The CVS version of Emacs has the printing.el package that is supposed
to provide these features.  But it only does that for PostScript
output.  It would be a good idea to extend that so that external
programs such as Ghostscript would not be required.  In other words,
we need a platform-independent API to communicate with the system
printers, and then we need to use that API in printing.el.
I suggested this in another message and agrees that this would be good, but it might be much work. One of the first thing to decide must be how that interface should look to be platform indepentent. To understand the requirements on the Windows platform a good start is probably here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/gdi/wingdistart_9ezp.asp http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/gdi/prntspol_0r1j.asp

On windows you use the graphic drivers interface (GDI) for printing as you can read there. You do not use PostScript or even care about what formats the printers want. Are there something similar available on other platforms?