Re: change to try-completion behavior in 21.3?

From: bigfaceworm
Subject: Re: change to try-completion behavior in 21.3?
Date: 17 Dec 2005 10:30:37 -0800

Ask the implementers of viper mode why there are two seemingly
redundant entries in the table.  :)

In actuality, the 'w' and 'W' represent different commands.  The first
represents 'save-buffer' and the second 'save-some-buffers'.

So, with the change to try-completion, the user typing a 'w' no longer
gets the same command s/he used to get.

The workaround is to advise the function that ends up resolving this
issue with a let statement temporarily rebinding completion-ignore-case
to get the appropriate behavior.

Also, I tried looking at the NEWS file for the newer Emacs, but
everything is screwed up in the installation - the file was not found
(nor are the info pages).  So that's why I thought it was entirely
possible that our IT department screwed things up.  Every time there is
an "upgrade" to the Emacs or OS, they mess something up with
non-default behavior.