SSL via proxy?

From: Joe Casadonte
Subject: SSL via proxy?
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 10:45:27 -0500

I want to do an SSL connection via a proxy server.  As I understand
it, the proxy server (HTTP in this case) receives the connection
request in clear text, creates the persistent connection, and then
passes the open connection back.  From there, the client must use this
already established connection to initiate the SLL negotiations and
such.  Assuming I have that correct (and I'm only 50% confident that I
do), the current SSL and TLS implementations within Emacs are no good
for me, because they all use external programs which establish the
connection, and cannot use a connection that already exists.

The only reference I found to something that would seem like it would
work is something Simon Josefsson wrote about 4 years ago that used
SSL functions compiled into Emacs.  I would like to find a solution
that is a bit more portable than that.

Any clues or pointers?  Thanks, and happy new year!

--
Regards,

joe
Joe Casadonte