Re: emacs-snapshot keybinding problem

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: emacs-snapshot keybinding problem
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 13:58:40 +0100

Am 02.01.2006 um 21:24 schrieb Angelina Carlton:

| (substitute-key-definition [S-f5] [f15] function-key-map)
| (substitute-key-definition [S-f6] [f16] function-key-map))
| (add-hook 'term-setup-hook 'fixmap)
`----

I hope the '))' means that some if or such block ends here ...

This now works for emacs22 -nw but the modifiers don't work yet,
The Super_R and Hyper_L don't work of course because they re only set up
for X apps.

All I can say (or, more exact: write) is: find a terminal emulation that accepts more than the Shift, Control, Mode_Switch modifiers and that is open to X Resource settings with these extra modifiers! gnome- terminal, kterm, mlterm could provide these extra options -- and maybe some X11 distribution (there are at least two, XFree 86 and X.Org) has an enhanced xterm. (aterm and eterm seem to be restricted to vt102 -- maybe they more!)

C-q Hyper-L isn't passed through so I am not sure what the escape code is
and cant use global-set-key interactively.

Right! In a terminal emulation you must teach this one to translate a key event with modifier to produce some ANSI like escape codes which Emacs can understand.

Angelina, why do you want to restrict GNU Emacs to a command line programme? It has more powers as an X client. If you want to reach it from command line use emacsclient! In .emacs you just need to add a (server-start) statement and when you set in terminal environment variables like EDITOR or VISUAL to 'emacsclient ...' then quite all editing is delegated to X11 Emacs. You can load or execute Elisp code. With SecureShell and X11 tunnelling Emacs can run remotely displaying locally (my preferred way), tramp seems to allow being remotely logged in from local Emacs (I haven't checked that since I have no such needs).

--
Greetings

  Pete

If all else fails read the instructions. - Donald Knuth