Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 01:39:53 +0100

Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:

> If proponents of free software ever expect to have their products in
> the mainstream and not just the province of geeks, then they had
> better

Why should I be bothered about the mainstream?  Why should I applaud
moves that focus improving software only on non-free systems?  There
is absolutely nothing for me in that.

I have nothing to gain from my software being useful only to
mainstream users of proprietary systems, and so I certainly not at all
"had better" do anything in order to have people working on stuff that
is of no benefit for me.

> learn the value of good customer service, and of good interface
> design and human useability.

If you want to place demands on software developers, you better offer
some recompensation.  Other than that, you get what they are in the
mood to deliver.

> And we might as well treat each other with civility rather than
> disdain as a good way to develop that attitude.

Feel free to do so.