Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 02:13:27 +0100

bkhl@elektrubadur.se (Björn Lindström) writes:

> "Luis O. Silva" <l.o.silva@mail.ru> writes:
>
>> Free software is developing by itself or I might say it's undergoing
>> evolution like a living creature. It's growing and getting
>> better. This process will never stop[1] and is, in some sense,
>> autonomous.  In contrast, commodities are done to be sold. Here
>> developers bow to the market.
>>
>> The conclusion about better development, then, can be easily be drawn.
>
> Not really. A lot of people get paid for developing free software. As
> the demands for free software grows, the profitability of developing
> will increase.

Sure, and certainly free software does not develop by itself.  And of
course, user friendliness is an important goal, just not at the cost
of freedom.  Since it would be self-defeating in the long run, anyway.

If your most important goal in life is to have lots of children, and
you happen to be on board of the Titanic when the water gushes in,
should you rather look for a spouse or a life vest?