Re: Use dvipdfm instead of pdflatex?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Use dvipdfm instead of pdflatex?
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 11:46:47 +0100

Am 08.02.2006 um 22:01 schrieb Paminu:

When I woul like to generate a pdf file from my .tex file I use the build in converter "pdflatex". But the pdf file that is generated will not contain
any of the pictures that I might have included in my .tex file (I have
these pictures in .esp and .pdf format).

Your so-called "convertor" pdflatex is not built-in into GNU Emacs, it's an external application, a part of TeX. pdfTeX, pdflatex's core, supports only four graphics formats: PDF, PNG, GIF, and JPEG.

Therefore I have been told to use "dvipdfm" instead. Is there anyway to
make emacs use this by default instead of pdflatex?

You can customise AUCTeX to use another programme instead of pdfTeX. Could be AUCTeX can even work with simpdftex! As an evidence I take this variable:

         LaTeX-command-style '(("" "%(PDF)%(latex) %S%(PDFout)"))

Are there any differences between the two converters, besides that dvipdfm
works with pictures?

Yes. Dvipdfm is dead, Martin Wicks neither develops nor does he seem to answer support questions. (Dvipdfmx is there, supporting Unicode.) To use dvipdfm you first need to create a DVI file. dvipdfm's output cannot be easily copied and pasted because the glyphs you see in a PDF viewer are sometimes mapped to strange characters that get then pasted into the target application. dvipdfm cannot expand or compress glyphs of PS fonts used to fill lines in a better, more pleasing way (a micro-typographic feature new since the times of Gutenberg).

You could check whether your image file really exists and is of the right kind. Pressing C-x C-l in AUCTeX (the TeX buffer) opens a buffer that shows TeX's diagnostic and other output. Since I don't know which TeX is installed on your Ubuntu system, the \DeclareGraphicsExtensions statement might be needed. Since you use width=10cm you *have* to use the graphicx package, graphics does not understand the keyval syntax.

The following example with the saddle's picture from TeXShop works perfectly with pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5) on PowerPC Mac OS X 10.4.4 with AUCTeX 11.81 and in GNU Emacs 23:

        \documentclass[12pt]{article}
        \usepackage{cmap}
        \usepackage{graphicx}
        %\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
        %\usepackage{textcomp}
        %\usepackage[ngerman]{babel}
        %\usepackage[latin9]{inputenc}
        %%\usepackage[protrusion=true,expansion=false]{microtype}
        %%\usepackage[protrusion=true,expansion=true]{microtype}
        %\DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.pdf,.png,.gif,.jpg}

        \begin{document}

        \begin{center}
          \includegraphics[width=10cm]{saddle}
        \end{center}

        \end{document}

And, for the record: dvipdfm supports URLs and hyperlinks since last millennium. Even in colour.

--
Greetings

  Pete

A child of five could understand this!  Fetch me a child of five.